A Brief History of Rowley
Coastal Byway Miles: 3.6 Miles
Settled in 1638, The Town of Rowley’s salt marshes were a tremendous asset to the early settlers – the waters were used for fishing and shellfishing, while the salt marsh hay was used for insulation, roofing, livestock feed and bedding. The region was also famous for ship and dory building, which peaked in the late 1800s.
Exploring Rowley From The Byway
Today, driving through Rowley provides a peaceful journey through small town Essex County life. Many colonial homes line the town’s streets – mixed with a variety of architectural styles from throughout American history. Rowley also contains scenic farmlands and stands and the chance to view local wildlife and nature at the Rough Meadows Wildlife Sanctuary.