Straitsmouth Island Light Station (1835)

Straitsmouth Island Lighthouse was built in 1835 to mark the entrance to nearby Rockport Harbor. The Town of Rockport owns the tower and 1.8 acres it stands on. The light is an active aid to navigation and the light and fog signal is maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard. The balance of the 31 acres island is owned by Mass Audubon Society and is maintained as a bird and wildlife sanctuary. The Town of Rockport has a 30 year lease of the c1878 keeper house and oil house with plans to restore it for the use of summer volunteer keepers. The light station is easily seen from the end of Bear Skin Neck in Rockport. The current lighthouse tower was built in 1896. The island is only accessible by boat. There are moorings near the northeast side of the island.


74 Marmion Way Rockport, MA 1966

Driving Directions

Notes & Advisories

Exterior viewing only.


  • Cultural Resources
  • Historic Resources
  • Wildlife Viewing