Gedney House

The earliest portion of the Gedney House was built in 1665. Significant renovations to the structure in 1712 and 1800 resulted in dramatic changes to the house’s appearance. The earliest evidence of woodwork and decorative finishes in the house were preserved by the addition of plaster ceilings, beam casings, and paneled walls–all of which have been removed to reveal four centuries of architectural changes.


21 High Street Salem, MA 1970

Driving Directions

From Route 128, take exit 26 (Lowell Street) east. Follow signs into Salem, staying straight on street until the end (street name changes). Turn left onto Essex Street. At next light, turn right onto Flint Street, then an immediate left ontoChestnut Street and follow to end. At stop sign, cross intersections with Summer Street onto Norman Street and take second right at U.S. Post Office, onto Margin Street. Park in municipal parking lot across from Post Office. Cross Margin Street, and walk up High Street next to former Catholic Church. Gedney House will be on your left.

Notes & Advisories


  • Historic Resources
  • Museums