Newburyport’s Powder House Park & Learning Center features a restored c. 1822 powder house. Located a safe distance from homes of the era, the stored gunpowder, flints, musket balls, and camp kettles were used by the local militia to defend the community. The Powder House was built in the turbulent aftermath of the War of 1812, which saw Washington’s public buildings burned to the ground by the British. Every able-bodied male was required to join a militia. Newburyport’s Powder House was well-used during the Civil War.