Constructed in 1885 to house Seaside No. 1, the Manchester-by-the-Sea’s first horsedrawn fire engine, this handsome building on Central Street later became headquarters for the Manchester Police Department. The Police vacated Seaside No. 1 in 1970 and the Historical Society stepped forward to preserve the building. It now serves as a museum and home for the town’s two antique engines, the Torrent, a hand pumper built in 1832, and Seaside No. 2, a horsedrawn steam pumper acquired in 1902. The first floor of the building also contains a collection of firefighting equipment as well as memorabilia about both the fire and police departments.