Significance: William Bennett, a carpenter for Governor Winthrop, was allowed 25 acres at Jeffrey’s Creek in 1637. This grant followed along the brook to its mouth on the waterfront where William built the town’s first grist mill. By the year 1675, William had built this house for his son Aaron and his family. The original five-bay house soon became a two-family house for the extended Bennett family. Now there are several houses on Bennett Street attributed to their decedents. Only half of the westerly half remains of the original five-bay house William Bennett built. Designations: National Historic District (1990).