Crombie House

The “oldest house in town” still has its first log construction under the clapboards. Erected before 1635 on Forest Street, it was moved to its present location on Summer Street. There have been alterations made to the building including adding a front room, changing the roof to a gambrel style and converting the original log construction by adding clapboards. At the time this house was built, Jeffrey’s Creek was the village’s name and 63 people lived here by the year 1640. It was in 1636 that the inhabitants petitioned the court at Salem for the right to hold property. It is another way to look at this oldest house in Manchester.


7 Crombie Street Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA 1944

Driving Directions


Notes & Advisories