Fish Flake Hill, the area overlooking the Beverly Harbor, is the oldest part of Beverly. The first settlers, led by Roger Conant, came over to “Cape An Syde” from Salem in 1626. By 1668 the community was strong enough to break away from Salem and changed its name to Beverly at a meeting in the Dixie Tavern on Front Street. Fishing was the dominant industry of the area; the name Fish Flake derives from the flakes or drying tables of the fish drying yards which existed until late-19th century. In 1971 the Fish Flake Hill Historic District was created by the City of Beverly to protect the area and foster improvements in it. Fish Flake Hill is now the north and south sides of Front St. from Cabot to Bartlett Sts.